First off, here’s a quick summarized review of the “Big 8”–some of the major lessons learned in ministry over the last dozen years:
- Ministry is simply the overflow of your heart connection to Jesus and creating space for those who are hungry for that same connection.
- Encourage one another daily.
- You need Sabbath.
- The enemy wants you to focus most of your energy on those who are unwilling to put forth any effort of their own.
- The 3 killers that keep showing themselves are a false view of God, distraction, and self-loathing (wallowing).
- Behind all sin is an unhealthy and false view of God, disbelieving He has our best interests at heart.
- It is more effective to ask questions and share stories than it is to supply answers and give lectures.
- In general, people don’t need things or even help as much as they need someone consistent who is for them.
And one more thing.
At Outreach, when asked, I always told people that to do this work you must have this approach: don’t do it for the results, as odd as that sounds, don’t do it to feel good inside, and don’t do it for a pat on the back or a “thank you.” Simply do it because it’s the right thing to do, and perform for an audience of One.
True religion is this: to visit widows and orphans in their troubles… -James 1:27
Not to take away all their troubles, for I don’t believe we can, but to be with them in their troubles.
This is true religion.